Lenexa, KS 66227
Schedule Your Flu Shot Now
Sunflower Medical Group is offering flu shots for our Lenexa West patients at all of our locations including our Heartland Primary Care location at 23401 Prairie Star Parkway. Simply call for an appointment and protect yourself and your family from the ravages of the flu this winter. Our Lenexa West location is offering all three types of flu shots including trivalent, quadrivalent, and Flumist as well as pediatric doses. Call for your appointment today.
Why You Need a Flu Shot
Influenza, commonly referred to as “the flu” is a serious disease that can put you in the hospital and even cause death. Because it is very contagious, the Center for Disease Control recommends getting a flu shot even if you are in good health. The flu season in the U.S. can begin as early as October and last into May. The more people who have the flu shot, the fewer people who will be able to spread the infection to others.
Who in Lenexa Should Get a Flu Shot?
The CDC recommends a flu shot for everyone over six months old. Certain people are at higher risk and should definitely get one.
- People who are at high risk of developing serious complications (like pneumonia) if they get the flu
- People with asthma, diabetes, or chronic lung disease
- Pregnant women
- People younger than 5 years (and especially those younger than 2)
- People 65 years and older.
- People who live with or care for those who are at high risk of developing serious complications (see list above).
- Household contacts and caregivers of people with certain medical conditions including asthma, diabetes, and chronic lung disease.
- Household contacts and caregivers of infants less than 6 months old.
- Those who work in health care
How do flu vaccines work?
Flu vaccines contain killed influenza virus. They cause antibodies to develop in the body about two weeks after vaccination. These antibodies provide protection against infection with the viruses that are in the vaccine. The flu vaccine contains killed influenza virus from 2 A strains and 1 B strain, thus the name inactivated trivalent vaccine. Other than the vaccine, the best way to avoid the flu is to wash your hands often and avoid touching mucus membranes such as your eyes, nose, and mouth with your hands. Help keep Lenexa flu free this winter by getting a flu shot at any Sunflower Medical location including our Heartland Primary Care location in Lenexa at 23401 Prairie Star Parkway. Call for an appointment. We are open Monday-Friday 9 am-5 pm.